There are many benefits of quitting smoking
If you do not smoke… don’t start! If you do smoke… stop! You already know many benefits of quitting smoking. Smoking is associated with one in five deaths in the US each year, compromises the immune system, increases the risk for osteoporosis, affects your eyesight, and can cause cancer, heart attacks and strokes. In addition, secondhand smoke can cause a multitude of health problems, including lung cancer, heart disease, asthma and breathing problems in non-smoking adults. At the AIMS Clinic®, we understand how difficult it is to quit, therefore, we have created the following tips to quit smoking.
- Preparation: The first step is to have a smoking cessation assessment at the AIMS Clinic®. Our Healthcare Team is ready to help you. During this assessment, a treatment plan and goal date will be discussed.
- Remove Temptations: Remove cigarettes, ashtrays, matches and lighters from your home, car and office. In addition, clean any areas that may have that “cigarette” smell.
- Go to the Dentist: Clean your teeth and see how much whiter your teeth look.
- Emotional Support: Let your friends, family members and co-workers know you are quitting. If possible, join some smoke-free activities with those who can provide positive reinforcement.
- Acupuncture: Want to know how to stop smoking naturally? Try acupuncture! It helps to enhance the production of serotonin in the brain, which smoking cessation decreases. At the AIMS Clinic®, we utilize auricular acupuncture, to help reduce the side effects of withdrawal.
- Chiropractic Care: Auriculotherapy is a type of therapy that focuses on ear stimulation. When these points are manipulated, it may help with cravings, weight gain, headaches and stress.
- Work with a Registered Dietitian: Certain foods enhance or detract the flavor of cigarettes. According to research from Duke University – red meat, coffee and alcohol enhance lighting up, while fruits, vegetables, juice and milk may make cigarettes less appealing. Switch to decaffeinated coffee to help reduce jitters.
- Exercise: Whether you want to hit the gym or try martial arts (tai chi), exercise can help you reduce cravings, breathe better and feel stronger.
- Purchase a Big Glass Jar: Place all the money you are saving in a jar and earmark it for something special – like a vacation!
- Medications: There are various nicotine patches, gums and sprays available to help you quit. However, at the AIMS Clinic®, we believe in teaching our patients how to stop smoking naturally.
Stop smoking today and your body begins healing in 20 minutes, lung function and circulation improve (in 3 months), risk of heart disease is cut in half (in 12 months), risk of throat and mouth cancer is cut in half (in 5 years), the likelihood of dying from lung cancer is cut in half (in 10 years) and risk of heart disease is the same as a non-smoker in 15 years!
The AIMS Clinic… Premier Health and Wellness Center, is here to help! Whether you decide to try acupuncture to quit smoking, chiropractic, diet and/or exercise, our Team can create a customized treatment program to help you achieve the benefits of quitting smoking.
To learn more, please visit the following sites or call: