If you are thinking about having a baby or are currently pregnant, it is important to understand the changes that you are or will be experiencing with your hormones, posture and body mechanics. Since your body must prepare to carry and feed your baby, the following changes may occur:
- As the baby grows, your center of gravity shifts forward, the pelvis tilts forward – which may cause lower back muscles to shorten and tighten, and the hamstring and gluteal muscles to weaken and stretch.
- The cervical and lumbar regions of the spine experience additional stress in the neck and lower back.
- Attached to the uterus are round ligaments, which are under a great deal of stress. They may become stretched and pain in the lower back and abdomen may result.
- Certain muscles – psoas, piriformis, etc., become tight and cause pain.
- Ligaments may become loose due to hormonal changes. This may cause joints to become less stable.
Due to a protruding abdomen, increased curvature of the back, along with pelvic changes and adaptations in posture… a misalignment of the spine and joints often result. When the pelvis is misaligned, the amount of room available for the growing baby may become reduced (intrauterine constraint). A misaligned pelvis may also make if more difficult for the baby to be placed into the best position for delivery.
Should you treat with a chiropractor while pregnant?
If you are seeking non-invasive, safe and effective care to reduce pain, have an easier delivery and a more enjoyable pregnancy – consider going to a chiropractor, as part of your pregnancy care. Keeping your spine aligned helps the body work more effectively! After all, the nervous system controls and coordinates the multitude of hormonal and chemical reactions that occur in the mother and developing baby.
According to recent Reports, women who receive chiropractic care during pregnancy:
- Maintain a healthier pregnancy
- Control their nausea symptoms
- Experience back and/or neck pain relief
- Reduce their labor and delivery time
- Help prevent a cesarean delivery
- Reach their pre-partum health
Chiropractic therapies and treatments help back pain during pregnancy!
Chiropractors provide safe pain relief by utilizing gentle, soft tissue techniques (relax tension in the ligaments), wedge shaped blocks (return pelvis to a normal position and reduce pain) and adjustments. Many chiropractors utilize the Webster Technique – a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment to establish balance in the pregnant woman’s pelvis and reduce undue stress to her uterus and supporting ligaments.
The International Chiropractic Association (ICA) recommends that women receive chiropractic care throughout their pregnancy to help in establishing pelvic balance, as well as to optimize the room for the baby to grow and develop.
We urge patients to discuss these options with their doctor. If they are not familiar with the benefits of treating with a chiropractor while pregnant, a conversation and literature can be initiated.
Integrate Acupuncture during Pregnancy!
In addition to including chiropractic into a pregnancy care program, many women also integrate acupuncture. This combination offers a synergistic effect, for both the mother and baby.
According to scientific research, acupuncture during pregnancy helps ease many of the aches and discomfort experienced. In fact, it helps reduce or eliminate:
- Heartburn and Morning Sickness
- Leg Swelling
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Pelvic and Back Pain during pregnancy
- Sleep Disorders
Chiropractic care and acupuncture during pregnancy provide safe and cost effective treatment options – especially when searching for non-pharmaceutical options. When seeking an alternative or complementary therapy, always check with your OBGYN or midwife.