Suffering with headaches on a regular basis has an impact on daily activities. Some people find it difficult to get through the day, whether to accomplish work or home responsibilities. Chronic headaches affect people of all ages. In fact:
- 45 million people in the US suffer with chronic headaches every year – an average of 20 million females and 25 million males.
- Alarmingly, it is estimated that 20% of children and adolescents have significant headaches.
- Every ten seconds, someone in the US goes to the Emergency Room with a headache or migraine, according to the American Headache Society.
- Over $1 billion is spent on OTC medication for headache pain relief every year!
Unfortunately, many people who experience headaches either learn to live with them or seek medication to relieve their pain. Others may seek care, but receive an inaccurate diagnosis or do not identify the cause or reason of their headache pain. Some people receive treatment for a migraine, when in fact their headache is a different kind – necessitating a different form of treatment.
Categories of Chronic Headaches
The medical community generally categorizes headaches in three categories – Primary, Secondary and Cranial Neuralgias, Facial Pain and other Headaches.
- Primary: This refers to the headache itself as the cause of pain or discomfort. The majority of headaches – over 90% falls into this category and include tension headache, migraine and cluster headache. Tension headaches are the most common, followed by migraine headaches and then cluster headaches (less than 1% of the population)
- Secondary: The headache is a sign or symptom of an underlying problem. This accounts for less than 10% of headache pain, with various causes.
- Neuralgias (nerve pain), Facial Pain and other Headaches: These headaches are caused by inflammation of the nerves in the head or neck and facial pain caused by trigeminal neuralgia and other chronic headaches. This group comprises less than 10% of all headaches.
There are many classifications and types of headaches, each with numerous triggers or causes, as well as having a wide range of frequency, intensity and location. It is important to have an accurate diagnosis, as well as rule out any serious underlying conditions.
Here at The AIMS Clinic, we have assembled a Team of Experts – Medical Doctors, Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, an Acupuncturist and Podiatrist to provide effective, non-invasive treatment options for chronic headaches. Please read the words of one of our patients, who once suffered with chronic headache pain:
“For the past three years, I suffered with chronic headaches. I walked in and out of many offices – Neurologist, as well as an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist, Optometrist, Allergist and Dentist, without getting any help. I was on heavy doses of medication, unmanageable diets and told that my headaches were caused from grinding my teeth at night. Luckily, my mom saw an ad in our local paper for The AIMS Clinic. I quickly came in. After two visits, the cause of my pain was discovered – my neck arched the wrong way. I began chiropractic treatments to correct this problem. I have not felt this good in years! I rarely have headaches, and if I do, the pain is minimal! My life is back to normal! I consider myself lucky to have found AIMS and thankful everyday for what they have done for me!” – D.M.
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEADACHE PAIN