KNOW THE FACTORS THAT CAUSE STRESS
Stress statistics are alarming! In fact, more and more people – both young and old, are searching for stress relief techniques. According to a 2009 survey conducted by the APA (American Psychological Association):
- 30% of tweens and 42% of teens report having headaches
- 39% of tweens and 49% of teens report having trouble sleeping
- 27% of tweens and 39% of teens report eating too much/little due to stress
In addition, for adults (over the last month during the survey):
- 43% report feeling fatigued
- 34% report experiencing headaches
- 27% report upset stomach or indigestion
The consequences of stress are damage to the individual’s nervous system, especially in the areas that are already overloaded, damaged or irritated. Stress related symptoms may include Headaches, Fatigue, Pain, Mood Swings, Depression and Digestive Disturbances, to name a few.
There are many factors that cause stress. Ask yourself the following questions: How many stress balls are you juggling? Are you sitting at a computer for an extended period of time, falling asleep on the couch, overweight, sleeping on an old mattress, have poor posture or living with a physical illness? Finally, ask yourself what are you going to do to prevent and/or correct the consequences of stress?
Stress can be compared to an equilateral triangle, with each side representing Emotional Stress, Physical Stress and Chemical Stress.
Emotional Stress Factors (Good)
- Win a million dollars
- Job promotion
- Birth of a child/grandchild
Emotional Stress Factors (Bad)
- Death of a loved one
- Losing your job
Physical Stress Factors
- Slip and fall
- Carrying a heavy pocketbook or wallet in pocket
- Poor posture
- One-sided sports and activities
- Weak core muscles
Chemical Stress Factors
- Smoke inhalation
- Air pollution
- Poor diet, dehydration
- Antibiotic overuse
Many people, who feel the affects of stress, speak with their Family Doctor, who may then suggest a Specialist. Successful stress relief techniques usually begin with a Personalized Patient Study, History of the Illness or Health Concern, Family History, Evaluation of the Home and Work Environments, Chemical Evaluation (blood, urine and stool), Structural Analysis and/or Muscular Evaluation.
For those seeking Acupuncture to help reduce stress, there are 4 diagnostic techniques utilized – Pulse Diagnosis, Observation (appearance, demeanor voice tone of the patient and the color, shape and size of the tongue), Heath History, Lifestyle and Emotional State; along with a Physical Exam (palpation of specific areas and acupuncture points) to reveal imbalances.
Once an accurate diagnosis is made, and the true factors that cause stress are detected – a customized treatment program can be created. At AIMS, we believe that the patient must be an active participant in his or her own recovery. As the saying goes… “Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.”
Treatment options and recommendations may include some of the following:
- Correct Chemical Imbalances: If possible
through nutritional support, a medical detoxification program and/or intravenous chelation.
- Increase Water Intake: 8-eight ounce glasses of water per day with a 1-glass increase for every 25 lbs. over 160 or an increase in fiber or exercise.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight:There is no one-plan-fits-all program. Together, our Medical Physician and Registered Dietician can create a customized healthy eating program.
- Rehabilitation/Physical Therapy: Ultrasound, Electric Muscle Stimulation, Thermotherapy, Trigger Point Release, Massage Therapy, Cryotherapy, Traction, Neuro-Muscular Re-Education and Active Functional Therapy are offered.
- Moderate Exercise: Walking is the only universal exercise, that when combined with deep yoga breathing can help immunize the body against stress.
- Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine: Provide a unique perspective and intervention, by restoring a sense of calm and wellbeing. Stress, anxiety and depression can cause a disruption in the flow of vital energy (Qi) throughout the body. Qi flows through meridians (live rivers inside the body), which energize, nourish and support every cell, tissue, muscle, organ and gland. Any energy imbalances may result in a multitude of stress symptoms. Consider the following… If a garden hose is crimped, it is unable to provide water to a plant – preventing the plant from blossoming and growing. Studies suggest that Acupuncture can activate the parasympathetic nervous system (Rest & Digest Response) to provide deep relaxation, activate the release of endorphins & improve circulation, which oxygenates tissues and removes toxins.
- Spinal Evaluation, Correction and Maintenance: We must correct structure and restore balance to the nervous system, so we are able to face the unexpected, harmful effects of stress. Chiropractic adjustments restore and support optimal motion of joints and surrounding muscle, leading to improved function of the whole body. Specific corrective manipulation and non-surgical spinal decompression are also utilized.
- Foot Levelers/Orthotics
- Proper Posture
- Adequate Rest and Proper Sleep Habits: Cervical pillow, proper mattress and supports
- Therapeutic Massage Therapy
- Relaxation Exercises, Visualization, Deep Breathing Exercises, Yoga and Laughter
- Realize change is mandatory
Everyone deals with stress – both good stress and bad stress. However, if stress seems to be resulting in health symptoms, there are many stress relief techniques available to restore balance on a chemical, muscular and structural level. At AIMS, we specialize in detecting and correcting physical stress factors and chemical stress factors, without drugs or surgery.
Call New Jersey’s own Alternative Integrated Medical Services today at 732-254-5553 and receive a FREE Initial Consultation. Our goal is to provide the most advanced and compassionate pain relief. Our Team of Experts and friendly staff at your local East Brunswick, NJ AIMS Clinic, will help you reduce or eliminate pain and improve function. As our patient, we will teach you how to regain your health with our revolutionary new treatment program.